Thursday, April 29, 2010

Hospice is a Blessing Too!

I know many of you were surprised, shocked, upset, and perhaps sad--that I have moved on to Hospice.I am sure you are aware of them even if you have been fortunate enough not to have had their services for a loved one so far. Everyone of these workers/volunteers is a saint. To be able to deal with impending death day after day is certainly a God given talent.

But from a purely service perspective, this is about the best deal going for someone in my position. It had been increasingly difficult for me to get the service I needed from DRMC--as the complications began to rise--since Dr. Muler was around only on Fridays, and the Oncology unit was open 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. That forced me into the ER several times with issues that really didn't warrant that slow and expensive option.

Now I have an assigned nurse--Jennifer--who will lead me through the maize. She is in direct consultation with Dr. Gaspar, who for a while, is the physician on call. Jennifer will visit me a couple times a week at first, then as needed. If we need a social worker, they are at hand. All my meds have been changed to their control and practically all are paid for by Medicare (even over the counter). They use Okuley' exclusively, so everything is delivered to our door--free. If I have a question or crisis any hour of the day, including weekends, they are a call away. How great is that? One stop shopping.

What they do not provided is daily care--Emily is the designated "primary care person." She has all the assistance she needs available, but Hospice is not the care giver. Already, I have diuretics to try to reduce the enormous swelling in my belly--it has me mostly immobile at the time--and Dr. Muler just smiled when I suggested their use. The drugs came within a few hours of signing all the paper work.

So fret not, Gentle Readers, this is for the good and will be a tremendous help for us in the coming weeks.

6 comments:

  1. God bless Hospice and God bless you! And Emily and Jennifer as well. Oh and what the heck...God bless us all, but most especially you, our dear, courageous friend, who continues to educate during your time of pain and discomfort. The gifts you have shared are immeasurable and we thank you for continuing to share your adventure with all who love you. Marion and Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember what a comfort and support hospice can be, and while dismayed that the time has come, am so grateful that you have such a resource. I echo Marion when I thank you for sharing your journey even when it has to be really difficult, and I continue to pray for you and Emily and your family and caregivers - and - what the heck - all of us who love you so very much!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Hospice is a Blessing. And so wise for you to use them as soon as your treatment decisions were made.

    And hospice does have "sitters" when you need them. If not, I can "sit".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Dick,
    My prayers are with you, Emily, and your family. What a journey you have had. It's only going to get better! Hospice is a godsend.
    Remember what Jesus told us, "do not be afraid, for I am with you. No matter what happens, I will never leave you or forsake you."
    Love, Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Dick and Emily,
    Hospice was a Godsend to our family when my father-in-law was quite ill. No request is too big or too small; they are all about the patient and being there for him/her. What dedication and caring.

    So good to see you, even for a few minutes last week following Bev's retirement reception. I'm thankful we had the opportunity to share some time with you and Emily. I keep you and Emily at the top of my prayer list.

    Much love,
    Penny and John

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having working around hospital folk for many years, I do appreciate the dedication caregivers have, especially those working in hospice. May they make the crooked straight, the rough places plain during this part of your journey.

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts during the past few months. One comment especially caught my attention, about someone mentioning that they didn't see you smile very much. Well, I don't quite remember a smile, but I do remember the smirk. :-) One of my great memories from Defiance College was sitting in your 9:30 a.m. Music Appreciation class, toward the back, next to another music major. You'd make a funny, wry remark, give the class a second for it to sink in, which it didn't, then turn and walk in the other direction with a quiet "ahem." I can't remember the name of the student sitting next to me, but we would always be squirming in our chairs, stifling our laughs, as we always caught your zingers delivered over the heads (both literally and figuratively) of all those poor, sleepy, general-degree-requirement-seeking students.

    Fondly,

    Jenny Hawke, class of 1984

    ReplyDelete